A common mnemonic, provided by the American Association of Suicidology, is:
S Substance Abuse
M Mood Changes
More generally, anyone actively thinking or talking about killing themselves should seek help.
• talking or writing about death or killing oneself;
- withdrawing from usual relationships or social activities;
- looking depressed and showing feelings of being trapped and hopeless;
- showing signs of extreme guilt and self_reproach, and that their life is not worth living
- gathering the means of suicide, for example stocking up on pills or buying a gun;
- doing self-destructive things like driving recklessly or giving away belongings without a logical reason; and
- saying goodbye to family and friends as if they are going on a very long journey and may not return.